12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Great discussion so far, and all good points to consider. Thanks for the contributions
Perhaps - I'm open to the possibility. I don't know how well I'd get along pursuing one given that I didn't do much, if any, accounting/finance/business stuff in school. And the openings your company has basically sound like what I ended up doing at Vocus :roll: What a cluster that was.
I've thought about it. My brother just finished his. But look, here's where I'm coming from (and stop me if I'm crazy) - I've learned a little bit more by now, at my more mature ripe old age of 25, about what I'd like to do and what would be good for my future. I certainly had no idea when I was still 17(!) entering JMU. I'm less of an idealist (lib arts BA) and more of a realist (I should probably learn a valuable skill/trade and use it).
But I've also learned a metric ton about what not to do. If the recent economic climate has shown me anything, saddling one's self with student loan debt without a clear vision of what it could do for you is no bueno. I see, from my distance far off, that IT has a nice, balmy glow around it - it consistently ranks well in every measurable indicator I've seen yet for opportunity, economic resilience, and standard of living.
I'd like to find a way in that offers me a stable career, the ability to learn and apply valuable skills, and if possible, to do this without forking over increasingly large wads of dough for an education to get there. I latched on to the Cisco stuff early in my story b/c, at least as I understood it, it is a good way to learn from the ground up and get your foot in the door. Want more pay, or to go from a tech/engineer to an admin? Get more certs. That kind of thing.
Maybe the grass is so blindingly green on the other side that I'm missing the mark a bit, but for someone in my position it looked like one of possibly many good routes to go. I'm not a math whiz, but if concepts are explained to me clearly in a hands-on, visual environment I think I could pick up IT (whatever iteration) fairly well, with determination and the mindset I currently have.
I'm kind of like, in the same moment, where you're standing in the cereal aisle and there are far too many choices of oat bran to choose from. Do I do this, or do I do that? What indicators do I have if this would be a good choice for me? Sigh - can someone invent time travel already?
.RJ Wrote:Do you (or your dad) have contacts at DoS that can get you started into an entry level job? I brushed off the idea of looking at fed work when I got out of school, and in some ways I regret it. The pay sucks when you start but you can move up pay grade fairly quickly, you will have a stable place to work, good benefits - this is important - private sector health care costs are going to get expensive soon.
The company I'm at is always hiring sales/support people, if you just need a job. The work is probably pretty shitty (lots of turnover) though.
Perhaps - I'm open to the possibility. I don't know how well I'd get along pursuing one given that I didn't do much, if any, accounting/finance/business stuff in school. And the openings your company has basically sound like what I ended up doing at Vocus :roll: What a cluster that was.
CaptainHenreh Wrote:Back to goody in particular, have you considered just going back for an MBA?
I've thought about it. My brother just finished his. But look, here's where I'm coming from (and stop me if I'm crazy) - I've learned a little bit more by now, at my more mature ripe old age of 25, about what I'd like to do and what would be good for my future. I certainly had no idea when I was still 17(!) entering JMU. I'm less of an idealist (lib arts BA) and more of a realist (I should probably learn a valuable skill/trade and use it).
But I've also learned a metric ton about what not to do. If the recent economic climate has shown me anything, saddling one's self with student loan debt without a clear vision of what it could do for you is no bueno. I see, from my distance far off, that IT has a nice, balmy glow around it - it consistently ranks well in every measurable indicator I've seen yet for opportunity, economic resilience, and standard of living.
I'd like to find a way in that offers me a stable career, the ability to learn and apply valuable skills, and if possible, to do this without forking over increasingly large wads of dough for an education to get there. I latched on to the Cisco stuff early in my story b/c, at least as I understood it, it is a good way to learn from the ground up and get your foot in the door. Want more pay, or to go from a tech/engineer to an admin? Get more certs. That kind of thing.
Maybe the grass is so blindingly green on the other side that I'm missing the mark a bit, but for someone in my position it looked like one of possibly many good routes to go. I'm not a math whiz, but if concepts are explained to me clearly in a hands-on, visual environment I think I could pick up IT (whatever iteration) fairly well, with determination and the mindset I currently have.
I'm kind of like, in the same moment, where you're standing in the cereal aisle and there are far too many choices of oat bran to choose from. Do I do this, or do I do that? What indicators do I have if this would be a good choice for me? Sigh - can someone invent time travel already?
Current: '20 Kia Stinger GT2 RWD | '20 Yamaha R3 | '04 Lexus IS300 SD
Past: '94 Mazda RX-7 | '04 Lexus IS300 (RIP) | '00 Jeep XJ | '99 Mazda 10AE Miata | '88 Toyota Supra Turbo
My MM Movies - Watch Them Here
Past: '94 Mazda RX-7 | '04 Lexus IS300 (RIP) | '00 Jeep XJ | '99 Mazda 10AE Miata | '88 Toyota Supra Turbo
My MM Movies - Watch Them Here


