08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't know that anyone was really proposing a fair society really.
I also don't belive inheritance is a form of welfare. I'm not sure how bequething monies that one has earned to an heir is the same as state provided financial aid.
In my opinion the demand is that someone pull themselves up by their bootstraps but not that every generation have to do it. Most of our familes were poor immigrants at one time or another and if they succeed at the "American Dream" I don't think we should force their children to do the same.
I think most here aren't arguing against public assistance assuming limits and legitimate needs. I think it's more an objection to systemic abuse of what has become a "routine handout" based system.
I also don't belive inheritance is a form of welfare. I'm not sure how bequething monies that one has earned to an heir is the same as state provided financial aid.
In my opinion the demand is that someone pull themselves up by their bootstraps but not that every generation have to do it. Most of our familes were poor immigrants at one time or another and if they succeed at the "American Dream" I don't think we should force their children to do the same.
I think most here aren't arguing against public assistance assuming limits and legitimate needs. I think it's more an objection to systemic abuse of what has become a "routine handout" based system.
'76 911S | '14 328xi | '17 GTI | In memoriam: '08 848, '85 944
"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
"Here, at last, is the cure for texting while driving. The millions of deaths which occur every year due to the iPhone’s ability to stream the Kim K/Ray-J video in 4G could all be avoided, every last one of them, if the government issued everyone a Seventies 911 and made sure they always left the house five minutes later than they’d wanted to. It would help if it could be made to rain as well. Full attention on the road. Guaranteed." -Jack Baruth
