![]() |
|
Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Printable Version +- Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org) +-- Forum: Technical (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4) +--- Forum: Technical Discussion (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11) +--- Thread: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them (/showthread.php?tid=9593) |
Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Jake - 08-23-2011 OK, so I now have bawlin' seats ready to go in the car. They both are missing any sort of hardware to mount them up. Thus, I'm lost. I want to bolt both to the floor, I think. I'd put the driver's seat on a slider provided my height is not an issue. Ideally, I'm not cutting new holes in my floorpan, but I have no idea how realistic this is. The driver's seat is going to be a Momo Start 2007. The passenger side will be a Sparco Sprint Junior. I have some pimpy red GForce six-points to go with them. Maeng suggested this place called Wedge Engineering, who seems to think that I need their special side mounts for the Momo, and then I have to measure things before they build the mount. I think it's a common car and seat, and I shouldn't have to do the leg work and potentially screw it up. Sooo. Advice? Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - D_Eclipse9916 - 08-23-2011 Its a bottom mount, cant beleive somebody doesnt sell a bolt-on seat bracket. Wedge has always been good to me, but I litereally dont know a single person thats every owned a momo start, maybe ask where the person you bought it from got their bracket? Personally? I had a machine shop build mine locally out of aluminum and then just drilled/trimmed to fit. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Jake - 08-23-2011 The Sparco is a bottom-mount and I can buy a bracket for that for $80 or so. The older Momo Start was bottom-mount, but the Start 2007 is side-mount. I asked Joe how he had it mounted so hopefully he'll get back to me. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - D_Eclipse9916 - 08-23-2011 Jake Wrote:The Sparco is a bottom-mount and I can buy a bracket for that for $80 or so. The older Momo Start was bottom-mount, but the Start 2007 is side-mount. I asked Joe how he had it mounted so hopefully he'll get back to me. Oh so, side mount, all that means is get some momo or sparco steel sidemount brackets ~79, and a seat bracket. All my seats have their base seat bracket, and the "side brackets". Thats how all side-mount seats are mounted. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Goodspeed - 08-23-2011 Behold, a tome on seat mounting (in a Miata). Where to begin.... 1) Because of your height, you're gonna want to get loooow. This will probably negate sliders. 2) Pre-fabbed seatbases can be hit or miss. Sparco makes bases intended for tuning seats (bottom mount) that have to usually be modified to affix side mounts/seats. In narrow cars, the width-of-the-base of the sidemount can be an issue, depending on the width of the seat. See this picture (the buldge outwards at the bottom): ![]() 3) Miatas have a disturbing lack of (at least somewhat) plug-n-play options on the market. Memoryfab used to make awesome mounts, and now Good Win Racing are about the only ones I know of making simple seat brackets: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0555.html 4) An issue some run into on Miatas is clearance under the seat for sub-belt eyebolts. This again depends on the seat, its height, etc. and can be overcome, but has given many a Miata owner a headache. 5) This is a very good reference on seats in Miatas. Some work shown is on the ghetto side, but most is acceptable: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=368990 6) Have a sledge ready. You might need it. 7) Finally, there is always custom. Anything universal in this realm is custom anyways, as all of these seats and mounts are *meant* for true race cars starting from scratch. I'm very happy with my Piper mounts, but they weren't cheap. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Jake - 08-23-2011 Thanks, Goodspeed. I'll check all that out when I get a chance. I know you dropped a lot of coin to have your stuff installed and I really don't want to pay someone like Piper if I can avoid it. I know I will need a BFH to make the Momo fit, but that doesn't bother me. Oh, and mounting the harnesses could be another fun headache. Guess it's all one big process. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Goodspeed - 08-23-2011 Jake Wrote:Oh, and mounting the harnesses could be another fun headache. Guess it's all one big process. http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Jake - 08-23-2011 Ohgod. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - D_Eclipse9916 - 08-24-2011 Goodspeed Wrote:Jake Wrote:Oh, and mounting the harnesses could be another fun headache. Guess it's all one big process. Easy, I can do these in my sleep now. Once you know what you need to do it doesnt take long. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Jake - 08-24-2011 D_Eclipse9916 Wrote:Goodspeed Wrote:Jake Wrote:Oh, and mounting the harnesses could be another fun headache. Guess it's all one big process. I'll buy ya a case of beer if you help me install mine, then. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - D_Eclipse9916 - 08-24-2011 Done. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Evan - 08-24-2011 when my car was a hybrid stree/trackcar I had a custom mount made at piper for my sparco evo. it had sliders but was still as low as it would go, touching the floor. was a really nice setup. ive still got it if any MMiata drivers want to buy it Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Jake - 08-24-2011 I wonder if I could use it with my Momo and the right side mount adapters? Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - JustinG - 08-24-2011 Dont see why not, DJ was using MOMO sidemounts with his Sparco seat in the DSM. Doubt the holes will be off that much doing the opposite, so you may not even need different side mounts. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - D_Eclipse9916 - 08-24-2011 JustinG Wrote:Dont see why not, DJ was using MOMO sidemounts with his Sparco seat in the DSM. Doubt the holes will be off that much doing the opposite, so you may not even need different side mounts. I still use Momo Sidemount brackets with my current Sparco Circuit Plus and Sparco Evo. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Jake - 08-24-2011 Hrmm, interesting. Evan, shooting you a PM. Re: Seat Brackets - School Me on Them - Evan - 08-24-2011 my custom mount is 1 solid peice, instead of 2 separate mounts, 1 for each side like using the momo mounts. so the outer width of the seat would have to be very close to the evo for it to work well. |