The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage



Madison Motorsports
OMFG Big Bang R1! - Printable Version

+- Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org)
+-- Forum: Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Motorcycles (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: OMFG Big Bang R1! (/showthread.php?tid=7631)

Pages: 1 2


OMFG Big Bang R1! - G.Irish - 09-08-2008

[Image: 09SPBK_R1_Bl_A3_030_73c1992a.jpg]

I had heard rumors about a big bang R1 but I was thinking, "I'll believe it when I see it." Lo and behold the 09 R1 really does have a big bang engine! The first street bike (other than maybe the Desmosedici) that has the distinctive uneven-firing order that Moto GP bikes have been using for the past 6 years (500's had it too actually).

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/6/0/home.aspx">http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/produ ... /home.aspx</a><!-- m -->

Too bad the bike is a little bit homely. Otherwise I might be tempted :twisted: I can't fucking wait to hear how it sounds


- .RJ - 09-08-2008

[Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif][Image: banana.gif]

[Image: 09SPBK_YZFR1_blue_D1_002_7bc2bfdc.jpg]


- Dave - 09-08-2008

I like watching GP and the bikes are cool as hell, but I don't have a clue what you're saying here.

Can you give a little insight as to how this compares to what is on the market today?


- G.Irish - 09-08-2008

"Big bang" is where the engine has an uneven firing order. There are several different implementations of it but the gist of it is that you have 2 cylinders fire very closely together, then a long pause, then the other two fire very closely together. That pause gives the tire time to regain traction between combustion events. There's another longer explanation for it but the basically it gives the bike better traction as you pour on the power.

And of course the added benefit is that it sounds incredibly cool.


- .RJ - 09-08-2008

Some light reading -

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/daisy/archive/2008/02/21/354910.aspx

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/daisy/archive/2008/02/24/355605.aspx

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/159551-0/yamaha_screamer_will_never_return.html

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Dec/071217b.htm

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/NSR500.htm (2 stroke)


- Kaan - 09-08-2008

the motor is going to be bad ass... the looks... they hurt the eyes.


- CaptainHenreh - 09-08-2008

I actually like the looks:

[Image: 09MS_YZFR1_blu_S4_bb08da4f.jpg]

But then I have a notorious reputation for having no taste whatsoever.

The new R1 having a big bang engine though...that's pretty surprising. Welcome, sure. But surprising.


- Sijray21 - 09-08-2008

interesting...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8pwSE77CM">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8pwSE77CM</a><!-- m -->


- Dave - 09-08-2008

it looks like eyeballs popping out of its head.

Other than the funky headlights, I think it's pretty shweet.

Thanks G, that is pretty damn cool.


- .RJ - 09-08-2008

Dave Wrote:it looks like eyeballs popping out of its head.

[Image: johnny-5-4-22-08.jpg]


- xvxax - 09-08-2008

why do all new sport bikes come with the most insanely complicated /ugly rear license plate/turn signal assemblies? I just noticed the pipes are covered in plastic and there is a ton more plastic near the swingarm. My god that bike has a lot of molded plastic on it.


- REED - 09-08-2008

I dunno, I think all sport bikes look the same :dunno:


RJ really - what the hell is your avatar, tis creepy


- Sijray21 - 09-08-2008

xvxax Wrote:why do all new sport bikes come with the most insanely complicated /ugly rear license plate/turn signal assemblies?
that i don't know :lol: , probably because they have to put it somewhere to make it legal

xvxax Wrote:I just noticed the pipes are covered in plastic

heat shield, i doubt it's plastic - ever been burned by an exhaust near your ass or legs? it sucks and the scars last a while

xvxax Wrote:and there is a ton more plastic near the swingarm.

chain gaurd. pretty helpful when a chain has recently been lubed to prevent you and your bike getting pelted with sticky chain lube

plastic is light weight and weight savings is key for sport bike performance

Sport bikes all look the same unless you're into it - same goes for any hobby. I thought the same before i got into it. Now i can decipher between make a model with a quick fly-by :lol: (usually)


- xvxax - 09-08-2008

I am a long time (ex) dirt bike rider, so I understand. Just seems that manufacturers used to just hook the plate to the rear fender now, but times have changed and now the pipes go up there and they hang the plate and rear turn signals way down. Just seems goofy to me.
I have a permanent scar on my inner leg from a 1971 Sherpa T Bultaco.


- Apoc - 09-08-2008

G.Irish Wrote:"Big bang" is where the engine has an uneven firing order. There are several different implementations of it but the gist of it is that you have 2 cylinders fire very closely together, then a long pause, then the other two fire very closely together. That pause gives the tire time to regain traction between combustion events. There's another longer explanation for it but the basically it gives the bike better traction as you pour on the power.

And of course the added benefit is that it sounds incredibly cool.

Isn't big bang when two fire simultaneously?


- CaptainHenreh - 09-08-2008

Apoc Wrote:
G.Irish Wrote:"Big bang" is where the engine has an uneven firing order. There are several different implementations of it but the gist of it is that you have 2 cylinders fire very closely together, then a long pause, then the other two fire very closely together. That pause gives the tire time to regain traction between combustion events. There's another longer explanation for it but the basically it gives the bike better traction as you pour on the power.

And of course the added benefit is that it sounds incredibly cool.

Isn't big bang when two fire simultaneously?

On a V4 it is...


- Mike - 09-08-2008

CaptainHenreh Wrote:
Apoc Wrote:
G.Irish Wrote:"Big bang" is where the engine has an uneven firing order. There are several different implementations of it but the gist of it is that you have 2 cylinders fire very closely together, then a long pause, then the other two fire very closely together. That pause gives the tire time to regain traction between combustion events. There's another longer explanation for it but the basically it gives the bike better traction as you pour on the power.

And of course the added benefit is that it sounds incredibly cool.

Isn't big bang when two fire simultaneously?

On a V4 it is...

omg they rule.


- HAULN-SS - 09-08-2008

so i'm like a newb - why not just make a big twin? smoother this way>


- .RJ - 09-08-2008

HAULN-SS Wrote:so i'm like a newb - why not just make a big twin?

Packaging, technology, reciprocating weight, big twins dont make as much power as inline-4's, inline 4's have been driving sportbike sales for 25 years.


- BLINGMW - 09-09-2008

I'll admit, I didn't read completely the 5 links Ryan posted, but is this the kind of thing that any of us would be able to detect? I just can't imagine the firing order makes a damn bit of difference to anyone but a professional MotoGP type guy. I'm sure it'll sound neat, but that's about it? :dunno:

FWIW, since mine is a twin, it's like, WAY ahead of its time. :lol: I always knew it.