![]() |
|
7 year old steals car... - Printable Version +- Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org) +-- Forum: Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3) +--- Forum: Lounge (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6) +--- Thread: 7 year old steals car... (/showthread.php?tid=7276) |
7 year old steals car... - JackoliciousLegs - 05-03-2008 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKN64o-vHyU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKN64o-vHyU</a><!-- m --> Thank you CNN - Sijray21 - 05-03-2008 ridiculous...the kid isn't even sorry or anything. kid needs a lesson that'll set him straight. i'd let the grandma get at him. - Apoc - 05-03-2008 Kids needs proper parenting is what he needs. - Jeff - 05-03-2008 "Its fun to do bad things" What a little D-bag. I know what I'd do with him... See avatar - John - 05-04-2008 WashingtonPost Magazine had a great article/"expose" back in late 2006 on the string of car thefts by minors in DC. Some admitted to stealing nearly 100 vehicles, joyriding, and then taking them to NE/PG borderlands and torching the cars. All admitted that the DC legal system has no repercussions for juveniles and that their little escapades were fun. They also noted that they never dare to go into VA as they know the police will chase them "all the way to Georgia if needed." It really was a sad article as the parents obviously don't care, the kids are a bunch of punks, and the DC legal system is overloaded with juvenile crime and doesn't know how to deal with it. Worse of all, the kids know exactly what they're doing is wrong and plan on abusing their protected status as juveniles as much as possible. For the record, I don't believe in treating minors any differently than adults in the court of law. The difference to me is that the parents need to be held accountable - unfortunately, nobody likes to hear Bill Cosby's words of wisdom. - Evan - 05-04-2008 come on guys, all he needs is a weekend without video games, that will set him straight! - Steve85 - 05-04-2008 John Wrote:For the record, I don't believe in treating minors any differently than adults in the court of law. The difference to me is that the parents need to be held accountable - unfortunately, nobody likes to hear Bill Cosby's words of wisdom. "I took my grandma's car cuz I was mad at my mom" are the first words from the kid. You can't really be thinking that teenagers would be too concerned with their parents getting in trouble to do anything wrong...who do you think their pissed at to begin with? It's also not realistic to never let them out of your sight to prevent the exercise of free-will for 18 years in a human being. Seriously...right now I have two teenage girls mad at me...one is being punished for taking our camera and then erasing her mom's pictures and the other because I don't want to listen some dumb ass MTV show while she texts her friends. - Apoc - 05-04-2008 It's because of GTA4, I know it. - Apoc - 05-04-2008 Steve85 Wrote:John Wrote:For the record, I don't believe in treating minors any differently than adults in the court of law. The difference to me is that the parents need to be held accountable - unfortunately, nobody likes to hear Bill Cosby's words of wisdom. It's not about making them care their parents are getting in trouble... it's about making consequences for other parents to discipline their child from birth. - Steve85 - 05-04-2008 Apoc Wrote:Steve85 Wrote:John Wrote:For the record, I don't believe in treating minors any differently than adults in the court of law. The difference to me is that the parents need to be held accountable - unfortunately, nobody likes to hear Bill Cosby's words of wisdom. How often were you disciplined? If it works so well in preventing free-will then your answer should be once. My point is...discipline does not always prevent the exercise of free-will. (the second part you left out of the quote restated) It sets ground rules and the expectation of consequences. If the consequences will apply to someone else then the offendor has no accountability. ESPECIALLY if the consequences will be paid by the mean daddy who made you clean your room and cut the lawn. But hey, who wants to be accountable for their own actions, that is sooo 20 years ago. - Apoc - 05-04-2008 Steve85 Wrote:How often were you disciplined? If it works so well in preventing free-will then your answer should be once. I never stole a car because I was disciplined enough to know my parents would make my life hell if I did anything so egregious. Either way, it seems you're missing the point. No one is arguing that punishing their parents will make little Timmy not misbehave. That's an asinine thought and we'd be silly to suggest otherwise. Discipline rarely prevents the exercise of free will, there's no arguing that. Children misbehave because they aren't afraid of the consequences. John's point, however, is that parents need to have consequences so they'll instill both the difference between what's right/wrong and that there are consequences for actions in their own children. If parents, who are growing human beings, are scared they'll be fined (or whatever) because of their kids then they'll actually be parents and teach the kid some fear and respect. I don't believe for one second that there exists children who are born "bad apples" and weren't made that way poor parenting or other lack of a structured family life. Punishing parents of today might make the parents of tomorrow actually parent their kids from birth. - Steve85 - 05-04-2008 Quote:Children misbehave because they aren't afraid of the consequences. They misbehave because they don't think they are going to get caught. Quote:If parents, who are growing human beings, are scared they'll be fined (or whatever) because of their kids then they'll actually be parents and teach the kid some fear and respect. Which my parents did but I still made bad decisions for which they should never pay. Decisions I am responsible for. Don't think for one second that every bad kid has bad parents. Fear and respect are powerful but so are the social forces that parents have no control over that effect a child's behavior outside of the parents immediate reach. I will concede that it may be effective on a case by case basis. But most likely a parent that doesn't care enough about their child to protect and teach them isn't going to give a damn about a fine. - Steve85 - 05-04-2008 Quote:John's point, however, is that parents need to have consequences so they'll instill both the difference between what's right/wrong and that there are consequences for actions in their own children. Are you f'n kidding me!! We do it because we love them and we want what is best for them. Their are no legal consequences greater than those natural emotional consequences that parents have. Not once have I taught my kids right from wrong out of fear of some legal consequence. I bet the same is true of your parents. - BLINGMW - 05-05-2008 "If I thought they wouldn't take me to jail I'd whoop his behind" :?: :?: :?: why does the grandmother think she'd goto jail for spanking the kid? Seems like she's not only not disciplining him, she doesn't even know she can. - Apoc - 05-05-2008 Steve85 Wrote:Are you f'n kidding me!! We do it because we love them and we want what is best for them. Their are no legal consequences greater than those natural emotional consequences that parents have. You're a good parent... this kid's (lack of) parents aren't. Most kids that are so beyond getting helped are that way because their parents didn't have the same "natural emotional consequences" you do. In fact, since this kid being raised by his grandmother I'm quite comfortable saying his mother probably didn't care much about him at all. Stop thinking about it in terms of how you parent and start thinking about it terms of how others who care more about drugs, money, SUVs, plasmas TVs or their job than they do the well-being of their kid. - Evan - 05-05-2008 BLINGMW Wrote:"If I thought they wouldn't take me to jail I'd whoop his behind" all the hippie retards in the schools/social services would scream "child abuse" at the smallest spanking and get her thrown in jail. - Goodspeed - 05-05-2008 "I yanked the, I yanked it....I yanked that ummm, thing" The parenting is terrible, if it even exists. Dads probably in jail, mom works night and day leaving Thug Jr. to be raised by MTV and 'Fiddy. Kid needs some authority in his life:
|