The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage



Madison Motorsports
As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Printable Version

+- Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org)
+-- Forum: Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lounge (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) (/showthread.php?tid=8998)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - WRXtranceformed - 08-11-2010

If you remember I had an IS300 for a while until it was totalled. It was a good car. I can't really explain why because it wasn't that luxurious, it wasn't that sporty, it wasn't that fast and it wasn't that nimble. And it's a terrible platform for modding unless you're looking to go all out and do a GTE swap. Also, I didn't think they had gotten down that cheap yet, but I could be wrong. But I really miss that car sometimes, maybe it's the linear torque of that motor I don't know!


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

Might go look at This this evening. One wheel looks rashed up pretty bad, but the Facts about this car seem decent.

Got a list of things to look for:
Center diff noise (add some load at lock, listen for ticks and clunks)
Transmission: Make sure it shifts smoothly (ish) into all gears, no grinding
Turbo uppipe: Poke it to make sure it's not fuckin airholed.
Underneath: Check for rust
Underhood: check for clean oil, listen for boost leaks/knocks.

Anything else I need to check out?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - ScottyB - 08-11-2010

sedona red pearl :thumbup: stock wheels are dirt cheap in case you end up in a position where you'd want to buy one.

as i found out the first time i checked an impreza, the engine bay may be an "off" color to the rest of the car. i'd only ever seen engine bays that were the exact same color as the rest of the car. i had thought there might have been collision damage. its just the way subaru paints their cars. not sure if Julie's car is the same so i thought i'd mention it.

clutch should work smooth
maybe duck underneath and take a gander at the oil pan, see if the plastic shroud is in place (if not, might have been torn off)
see when the plugs were changed (changing spark plugs on a turbo is a PITA apparently)
no clunks from suspension
when you do the full lock driveline clunk test see if it does it in reverse too

think thats about it, good luck


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Apoc - 08-11-2010

Is that damage on the front passenger quarter panel or just a reflection? Pretty sure it's damage. I wonder if that rashed wheel, which is now on the rear driver side was swapped.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - .RJ - 08-11-2010

i'll say it again... auction junk.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

Apoc Wrote:Is that damage on the front passenger quarter panel or just a reflection? Pretty sure it's damage. I wonder if that rashed wheel, which is now on the rear driver side was swapped.

Definitely looks like damage:

[Image: 84275b.JPG]

your wheel swap theory has merit. Still, if it's straight a dinged fender does not bother me. I'll find a replacement.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Evan - 08-11-2010

listen for wheel bearing crunch/grind/whine

make sure to ask gerald for tips on how to test drive one.....


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

Evan Wrote:listen for wheel bearing crunch/grind/whine

make sure to ask gerald for tips on how to test drive one.....

Anything else from OG Bugeye Mr. Spoiler himself?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - flintster55 - 08-11-2010

Timing belt is supposed to be done at 105k so you might wan to plan on having to take care of that but that still leaves you way below your budget.

1st gear in the 02s only has a single cone syncro so therefore most won't go into first above 5 mph unless you double clutch perfectly. Mine was just like this.

What are you talking about with the up pipe? They're really hard to see much less touch from the top and there should be a splash shield on the bottom of the car that will probably block it from view


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

flintster55 Wrote:Timing belt is supposed to be done at 105k so you might wan to plan on having to take care of that but that still leaves you way below your budget.

What are you talking about with the up pipe? They're really hard to see much less touch from the top and there should be a splash shield on the bottom of the car that will probably block it from view

I dunno, I was told to poke the turbo pipes to check for holes.

And yes, it does leave me below budget, which I can use to save in case the DREADED GLASS TRANSMISSION strikes.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Mike - 08-11-2010

Evan Wrote:make sure to ask gerald for tips on how to test drive one.....

good pull. really good pull.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - flintster55 - 08-11-2010

If it has a hole you'll know it.

I have a catless downpipe and a catless STi up pipe for sale if you get the urge to start modding early on


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - WRXtranceformed - 08-11-2010

I don't know why heavily used WRXs scare me so much. I guess because I've owned 2 of them :lol:


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - ViPER1313 - 08-11-2010

HAULN-SS Wrote:pics of firebird
[Image: 82339084.jpg]
[Image: 2jpgcj.jpg]
[Image: 76359645.jpg]
[Image: 4jpgyi.jpg]

Come on, V8 goodness for less than 5g - only 113k miles.... Gibson exhaust and high flow cat...... Who needs practical when you have Julie's Suby?

Edit: Oh, it's a hardtop too, no leaking POS T-Top action.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - HAULN-SS - 08-11-2010

wait..how much does he want for it? Tranny still good?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - getfast - 08-11-2010

CaptainHenreh Wrote:Might go look at This this evening.

God help you if that's one of the two nearly identical Sedona Red Pearl '02 WRX Wagons I owned briefly in 2005. Both of which had been wrecked/poorly repaired AND needed clutches or gearboxes before 30k miles. Ah, Carmax... if I never set foot in another one of your stores again it will be too soon. :?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

getfast Wrote:God help you if that's one of the two nearly identical Sedona Red Pearl '02 WRX Wagons I owned briefly in 2005. Both of which had been wrecked/poorly repaired AND needed clutches or gearboxes before 30k miles. Ah, Carmax... if I never set foot in another one of your stores again it will be too soon. :?

If it needed a clutch or gearbox at 30k miles, it definitely got it. Shifted great, strong clutch, no noises from the wheel bearings or center diff. Shifted could. Couldn't shift into first until I was almost stopped. Cold AC. Aftermarket sunroof seems to work, but if it leaks I"m just gonna have a bodyshop put a piece of glass in there.

It's a 2 owner car, bought first owner in Reston in 2001, second owner was in 2003 @ 20,000 miles. That owner put 90k on it before, apparently, trading it in in May of this year.

I...I put a deposit down. I hope I did the right thing. Honestly, nothing stuck out at me, except the fender. I tried to look at it with a very critical eye. The passenger door swings open a little hard, but isnt' catching on anything that I could see. Underhood looks unmolested. No serious rust on underhood components, but there was definitely some of that 'patina' that zinc plated stuff gets all over it. I do NOT believe the timing belt has been done. (If it has, they were real careful about putting the bolts back in such a way to look as if they didn't take 'em off.) Someone couldnt' figure out where the trans dipstick should go, so I found it in the engine bay. I couldnt' figure it out either, so when I go pick it up, I'll need to put it back. It's behind the TMIC, right?

I'll change the trans and diff fluids when I do the timing belt, which will be post haste. Also WTB: Sedona Red Pearl Passenger Front Fender.

The price? $6,000 out the door.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - flintster55 - 08-11-2010

Yep it's behind the tmic on the passenger side. When you go to change the trans fluid, try and source some Subaru Extra-S fluid. Scotty and I both have had great success with it. For the rear diff any GL-5 fluid is fine I believe.

Just FYI though, the wagon fenders are different than the sedan fenders so be careful when you're shopping for that.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

flintster55 Wrote:Yep it's behind the tmic on the passenger side. When you go to change the trans fluid, try and source some Subaru Extra-S fluid. Scotty and I both have had great success with it. For the rear diff any GL-5 fluid is fine I believe.

Just FYI though, the wagon fenders are different than the sedan fenders so be careful when you're shopping for that.

If i got a pair of sedan fenders, would that be OK?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - getfast - 08-11-2010

CaptainHenreh Wrote:It's a 2 owner car, bought first owner in Reston in 2001, second owner was in 2003 @ 20,000 miles. That owner put 90k on it before, apparently, trading it in in May of this year.

Definitely not one of mine, both mine would've shown ~30k miles @ changes of ownership in '05. Lucky you :lol:

Anyway congrats, sounds like you got a good one and that is a smokin deal. :twisted: