The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage



Madison Motorsports
As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Printable Version

+- Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org)
+-- Forum: Madison Motorsports (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lounge (https://forum.mmsports.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) (/showthread.php?tid=8998)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-10-2010

CaptainHenreh Wrote:
Evan Wrote:more fun, low miles but a little non stock
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/1883412183.html">http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/1883412183.html</a><!-- m -->


Interesting. Email to that guy en route to get full mods list.

Response from that guy:

WRX Guy Wrote:The car has a cf hood, cat back exhaust, turbo timer, boost gauge, and an intake. I don't have any records, I'm a dealer so the cars not mine.

Sounds shady, I think I will pass.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - HAULN-SS - 08-10-2010

seeing ads for cars 6 years older than mine with 20k less miles makes me sad. My garage door might revolve soon too.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - ViPER1313 - 08-10-2010

ScottyB Wrote:
ViPER1313 Wrote:Want to buy my friend's 93' Firebird? LT1 + 6-speed + new black paint, car is immaculate. It makes all the right noises too.

i could see one of these being hilarious fun, aside from changing out the optispark when it poops out. i thought the firebirds looked the best during that generation too.

Just done less than 1k miles ago along with the water-pump which was weaping on the coil, it's the only problem he has ever had with the car.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - HAULN-SS - 08-10-2010

pics of firebird


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - ViPER1313 - 08-10-2010

I'll post them up later tonight.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Ryan T - 08-10-2010

I had two LT1s in my younger days (97 SS and a 96 Z28) and both of those cars were wildly fun. If I hadn't been spoiled by the LS1 I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another LT1.

Really though, if you looked around enough you could find a nice LS1 camaro for around what you want to pay.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Jake - 08-10-2010

But Rex has like, a buzz cut. No hair = no mullet. Guess he'll have to factor the cost of one of these into a Firebird purchase:

[Image: arroyohat.jpg]


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Goodspeed - 08-10-2010

You could probably talk this guy down five hundo to your target price - full STi swap in and out, but smells project-y

[Image: DSC_1238.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1231.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1250.jpg]

Or, a manual IS300 with boost (ehhh....with a TT hg and 550's, I wouldn't worry too much) or (drumroll please), a manual SC300 with Toretto boost or 1JZ boost. Big, comfy, easily seats 4, sexy, smooooth.

[Image: 128603d1218467884-93-sc300-1jz-twin-turbo-9000-sick.jpg]


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - ScottyB - 08-10-2010

Goodspeed Wrote:a manual SC300 with Toretto boost or 1JZ boost. Big, comfy, easily seats 4, sexy, smooooth.

you know i looked for those in Atlanta and couldn't find a decent manual SC for anywhere near 8g's. are there any that aren't hammered in the 7 range?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - WRXtranceformed - 08-10-2010

In terms of all the recommendations, I think there are some really good project car suggestions but I would just stay far away from swapped / project vehicles based on your requirements. It just doesn't make sense to take a gamble with something that someone is obviously trying to dump on the cheap.

Edit: I bet you could go to one of those wholesaler / dealer auctions and get a REAL good buy.. It might have bullet holes in it but I bet you'd be surprised at the nice cars that go for cheap there.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Goodspeed - 08-10-2010

ScottyB Wrote:
Goodspeed Wrote:a manual SC300 with Toretto boost or 1JZ boost. Big, comfy, easily seats 4, sexy, smooooth.

you know i looked for those in Atlanta and couldn't find a decent manual SC for anywhere near 8g's. are there any that aren't hammered in the 7 range?

I saw a clean one for 5.5 a while back. Not a realistic option here but I do love them so.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - fiveoh2go - 08-10-2010

How about a mid 90's C4 Vette or a Fox-body (87-93) Mustang? :dunno:


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-10-2010

WRXtranceformed Wrote:Edit: I bet you could go to one of those wholesaler / dealer auctions and get a REAL good buy.. It might have bullet holes in it but I bet you'd be surprised at the nice cars that go for cheap there.

I've had a certain individual doing exactly that for me. Apparently "cheap cars" (under 10k) are like gold right now. Nobody has any money to spend on a car, so they all want cheapycheap.

I'm reaaaaaaaaaaally leaning towards a WRX. It meets all my needs, and I maaaaybe can find one in my budget.

Why shouldn't I get one?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - ScottyB - 08-10-2010

CaptainHenreh Wrote:Why shouldn't I get one?

because you don't like burbly, mannish exhaust notes and showing your ass to SUV's in the winter?

just shop 'em carefully....bah, you already know that.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-10-2010

ScottyB Wrote:
CaptainHenreh Wrote:Why shouldn't I get one?

because you don't like burbly, mannish exhaust notes and showing your ass to SUV's in the winter?

just shop 'em carefully....bah, you already know that.

Trying to look at this on thursday:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/1889841829.html">http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/1889841829.html</a><!-- m -->

Who thinks he'll take 8?


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - ScottyB - 08-10-2010

if you get him to take $900 off i'll be pretty impressed. any other comparable wagons for cheap to show him what he's up against in the market? its a bit higher than the right price but i'm assuming he knows someone will talk him down at least 3-400 so he's really expecting 8500.

not important but i'd love to have the seats in that thing.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - flintster55 - 08-10-2010

CaptainHenreh Wrote:Gravel Express: AWD Wagon. GC8 (or newer) Outback Sport. Megasquirt is hard at work on a plug and play for Subies, so possibility of modification down the road. I really like Julie's Subaru, just not sure if I can live with the P/W ratio.

Explain a little more on this Megasquirt for Subies. I haven't heard about this at all but I'm a little behind on the newest things in the Suby community.

As for a WRX, they're great cars and lots of fun. For your budget of $7500, you're really only going to find an 2002 which was the year of the almighty glass tranny. Some break under abuse and some break randomly merging on the highway because of previous abuse so shop carefully and see if you can come across one owned by an older person that might have driven with a little more sense than your ordinary 18 year old that slams gears like it's going out of style.

As for other cons, they're a little expensive to maintain when the miles get up there but not horrible. My front O2 sensor went out around 90k and it was like $190 for a non OEM brand replacement. Wheel bearings are another common failure with high mileage. The one large drawback is spun bearings are pretty common in these cars. From what I've read on the forums, a lot of them come from high revs and a lot come from running oil that's too thin.

Other than that I've loved mine and had it for over 3 years now. I bought mine with 89k and it's still going strong with 129k as I write this and it has had its share of abuse with Autox, drag strip runs, snow drifting, and both spirited driving and spirited pizza delivery for 2 years while at school.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

ScottyB Wrote:if you get him to take $900 off i'll be pretty impressed. any other comparable wagons for cheap to show him what he's up against in the market? its a bit higher than the right price but i'm assuming he knows someone will talk him down at least 3-400 so he's really expecting 8500.

I'm gonna try to throw the timing belt at him. If he doesn't take 8, then he won't sell his car to me. I mean, it's not like I'm looking for a Impulse RS, it's just a WRX. Lots of them out there, and they're getting cheaper every day. Besides, edmunds says private party value = $6957. Maybe he'll be convinced. THE POWER OF EDMUNDS COMPELS YOU. :lol:

flintster55 Wrote:
CaptainHenreh Wrote:Gravel Express: AWD Wagon. GC8 (or newer) Outback Sport. Megasquirt is hard at work on a plug and play for Subies, so possibility of modification down the road. I really like Julie's Subaru, just not sure if I can live with the P/W ratio.

Explain a little more on this Megasquirt for Subies. I haven't heard about this at all but I'm a little behind on the newest things in the Suby community.

Well, the first PnP Megasquirt was for Miatas, and it's still the only one that's *truly* plug and play. However, they have kits now that instead of making your own wiring harness, there's a factory plug on the megasquirt, and you plug your harness into it. There's still some wiring to be done, but it's not "Hey here's some wire and a diagram, make a new harness for your car!".

99-2002 Imprezas
93-95 Imprezas
Full compatibility list

This takes the (for me) most unpleasant part of the whole Megasquirt process out of the equation. It's real tempting to buy a 2001 Outback Sport, study up on my megasquirt, and then turbocharge the fucking thing. Easier than a Subaru wiring swap, and hey, I can make my own maps. GC8 is lighter and sexier, and was around for longer so more chance of parts donors. However, I'm still trying to find some people who have a running, turbocharged, DIYPNP Megasquirted Impreza. (Or Legacy. That'd be sweet too.) I haven't looked *that* hard, but they're not jumping out of the woodwork. It's still in it's infancy, the whole thing is only a little more than a year old, but it looks promising.

Just, you know, it's alot easier just to buy a WRX...but we didn't get GC8 WRX's because 1990 Subaru hated money.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - CaptainHenreh - 08-11-2010

Goodspeed Wrote:Or, a manual IS300 with boost (ehhh....with a TT hg and 550's, I wouldn't worry too much) or (drumroll please), a manual SC300 with Toretto boost or 1JZ boost. Big, comfy, easily seats 4, sexy, smooooth.

Find me a Manual IS300 for my price (in good shape), and I'll seriously consider it. I think that would be a great car.


Re: As the garage door turns... (FIREMISSION) - Jake - 08-11-2010

CaptainHenreh Wrote:
Goodspeed Wrote:Or, a manual IS300 with boost (ehhh....with a TT hg and 550's, I wouldn't worry too much) or (drumroll please), a manual SC300 with Toretto boost or 1JZ boost. Big, comfy, easily seats 4, sexy, smooooth.

Find me a Manual IS300 for my price (in good shape), and I'll seriously consider it. I think that would be a great car.

David M has a red IS300 with the 5-speed. Backseat is a little tight (on par with a 3-series) but it's a nice car and from the limited driving/riding I have in it, is pretty fun to drive and/or throw around.